Mountain View Independent Methodist Church
Tuesday, December 10, 2013
God is good ALL the time... and ALL the time, God is good!!
++ October 1980 Christian Banner ++
If God Should Go On Strike
Copied & submitted by: Myrtle Hunt (deceased)
How good it is that God above
Has never gone on strike,
Because he was not treated fair
In things He didn't like.
If only once He'd given up,
And said, ‘That's it, I'm through!
I've had enough of those on earth,
So this is what I'll do;
I'll give my orders to the sun -
'Cut off the heat supply!'
And to the moon - 'Give no more Light,
And run the oceans dry.'
Then just to make things really tough
And put the pressures on,
'Turn off the vital oxygen
Till every breath is gone!'
You know, He would be justified
If fairness was the game.
For no one has been more abused
Or Met with more disdain.
Than God, and yet He carries on
Supplying you and me
With all the favors of His grace
And everything for free.
Men say they want a better deal
And so on strike they go.
But what a deal we've given God
To whom all things we owe.
We don't care whom we hurt
To gain the things we like.
But what a mess we'd all be in
If God should go on strike!
The Healing of Our Nation
Written by: Ruth Elliott
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. (2 Chronicles 7:14)
What a nation we could have if people would do what this verse of scripture says. There are only four things He is asking His people to do. The Lord is ready to do His part if we are willing to humble ourselves, pray, seek His face, and turn from our wicked ways.
It is time we were awakening out of our sleep and falling on our knees and crying out to God to have mercy on us that our nation would be healed.
Written by: Lynn Gregory
I would like to thank all the people who said prayers for my Daddy. Three weeks ago he was told he had a growth on his vocal cords. He would have to have it removed. He was taken to surgery. The doctor could no longer find a growth, so he could go home that day!
Sometimes answer to prayers come in abundance. I was concerned in the condition of the growth and what was in store for my Daddy’s future. Thanks to the praying people of Mt. View, God not only made my Daddy better, but removed the growth.
++ September 1980 Christian Banner ++
Twelve Rules for Raising Responsible Children
Submitted by: Sharon Elliott
1. Begin with infancy to teach the child he cannot have everything he wants.
2. When he picks up bad words, correct him.
3. Give him spiritual training early in life.
4. Make frequent use of the word “wrong” in correcting bad acts.
5. Make him pick up his own things; let him do as many other things for himself as he can.
6. Be careful what you let him read.
7. Keep the home atmosphere pleasant and warm.
8. Make him earn his spending money.
9. See that cravings for food, drink, and comfort are satisfied in moderation.
10. Back him only when he’s right. Let him know you won’t back him when he’s wrong.
11. Accept your responsibility for his actions until he’s of age to accept them himself.
12. Prepare for a life of satisfaction with your child. You are like to have it.
Written by: Becky Freeman
What a beautiful word! What does it mean to you? To me it means life. God has blessed us with a land that is free, so let’s fight to keep her free. You may wonder what we can do. The number one thing is to exercise your right to vote. Ask for God’s guidance in this. We may not know any Christian leaders but God knows which is best. Pray for your country and her leaders. Prayer changes things.
We Christian people have got to stand up for what we believe in now. We have been silent too long. We are the only group who stands by and waits for everyone else to voice their opinion first.
Stand up America before it is too late. Majority rules, so come on and let your voice be heard. Vote at every opportunity and get involved with what is going on. Write your leaders and tell them how you feel. How else are they going to know? I personally challenge you to do this.
++ August 1980 Christian Banner ++
Copied & submitted by: Myrtle Hunt (deceased)
Take some morning sunshine
Ad a smile, some kind words too,
Sprinkle in some happy hours
It’s not very hard to do.
Add a little thoughtfulness
Stir just enough to blend,
Serve it warm with loving hands
It’s the makings of a Friend.
Mother had a cookbook
And everybody said,
Since it was never written
She kept it in her head.
Be we who were consuming
The products of her art,
Were more of the opinion
She kept it in her heart.
++ March 1980 Christian Banner ++
They Asked for Advice
A well-meaning group of laymen came from a neighboring church to see a pastor one day. They asked advice on a painless method of getting rid of their pastor. Here’s the advice he gave them.
1. Look the pastor straight in the eye while he's preaching and say "Amen" once in a while;
he'll preach himself to death.
2. Pat him on the back and tell him his good points, and before you know it he will work
himself to death.
3. Rededicate your own life to Christ and ask the preacher for some job to do, preferably some
lost person you could win to Christ, and he'll die of heart failure.
4. Get the church to unite in prayer for the preacher and he'll soon become so effective that
some larger church will take him off your hands.
Will this work? It certainly will! It will work wonders, both for the preacher and for you!
Remember: Prayerless pews make for powerless pulpits!